What is an Embed Code?
An "embed code" is a block of HTML which is embedded in the page-source. It needs to be obtained from a site already hosting whatever is being embedded, because the "embed code" points back to that site.
How do I add an embed code to my course?
From the homepage, click the "Editor" icon located on the course that needs an embed code added to it.
Click the "+Add to..." link.
Click "Embed Code".
When adding an "Embed Code" there are two fields that need to be filled in:
- Actiity Title
- Enter or paste embed code (HTML obtained from another website)
Once filled in click "OK".
Now the embedded activity shows within the "Editor tool" of the course.
There are more settings that can be adjusted within this activity.
To begin adjusting these settings, click the "Editor" icon located next to the "Embed code" activity.
Within the "Editor tool" for this activity there are 6 tabs where one can adjust different settings:
Within the "Activity Tab":
- Title will show up because it was added with embed code in the previous step
- Content is selected as a "Course resource"
- Add attachments that students might need to go with embed code
- Add instructor notes to students
- Select a specific group of students to assign the activity to
Note: Student groups must be set up before assigning this activity to a specific group of students.
Within the "Data" tab add a thumbnail, Metadata description or CRA and IAKT activities.
WIthin the "Objectives" tab select objectives that align with the embed code.
Note: Objectives must be imported into the course prior to adjusting this setting for an embed code.
Within the Gradebook tab select:
- Enable gradebook settings (if desired)
- Due date
Note: Gradebook settings are usually not enabled for an embedded item. Embed codes are usually used for a document that is to be read or a video to be viewed.
1. Within the "Gradable" category select:
- "Include" from the "Category" drop down menu
- The learning outcomes and their weight for this activity
- Enable student dropbox (if desired)
- Choose groups of students to view embedded item
- A passing score
- Minumum points possible
- If the score from this embedded item: will have visibility restricted by date, can be dropped, will be included in final grade, requires a passing score for course credit, if an unscored assessment will be a zero.
2. Within the "Due Date" category select:
- A due date and time
- Allow late sumbissions if desired
Once the embed code has been accessed, history will show up in the "History" tab.
Echo is constantly being improved based on the feedback from users and we strive to keep our documentation up to date. If this document doesn’t match what you are seeing in Echo, please let us know.