Note: This is a beta feature; we welcome your feedback as you test it out. If you encounter complications, please contact your SIS administrator and/or Echo support to verify correct implementation and usage.
Echo allows you to set up Grade passback to your SIS using the 1EdTech (formerly IMS) OneRoster specification, which can save your teachers time and keep grades current for students.
This article covers how to:
- Configure your OneRoster SIS sync (required first step)
- Configure your SIS sync settings
- How teachers configure and sync grades
1. Configure your OneRoster SIS sync
In order to use Grade passback in Echo you must first create your course, students, and enrollments using the OneRoster standard, and use it to configure your SIS Sync in Echo: OneRoster SIS Sync Setup Guide
2. Configure your Grade passback settings
- In the Admin app, open the More menu.
- Select SIS sync
- Select Edit settings.
- On the Grade passback card, click the Allow grades to be sent to the SIS box. This enables teachers to manually select and send grades to the SIS.
- Check the Send new grades automatically box if you want each activity grade to be synced as soon as it receives a new score.
- This is best for Continuous enrollment courses where students are meant to complete activities at their own pace rather than according to a set schedule.
- Provide the following values:
- SIS name (enter the name of the SIS)
- API Base URL (acquire from your SIS)
- API Token URL (optional, acquire from your SIS)
- API Key (acquire from your SIS)
- API Secret (acquire from your SIS)
- Use the Excluded domains dropdown to select any subdomains in which you don't want Grade passback enabled.
3. How teachers configure and sync grades
Once you have configured your domain for Grade passback, your teachers automatically see two buttons appear in their Gradebook > Tools menu:
- Sync grades settings
- Sync grades to SIS
Echo is constantly being improved based on the feedback from users and we strive to keep our documentation up to date. If this document doesn't match what you are seeing in Echo, please let us know.