To ensure a successful Echo launch and implementation, please review this document to ensure that your users are able to fully utilize the online tools employed by New Tech Network schools. Note that these requirements and recommendations may change over time and NTN may require the assistance of your organization’s IT staff in the future to ensure that staff and students enjoy continued access to products and services available for NTN schools.
Echo's data protection and security overview
Echo provides a robust data protection and security. Please see the attached document or review this link for more information.
New Tech Network is committed to maintaining your personal privacy. Please review this link for more information.
Echo Staff Training Guidelines
When transitioning to a new Learning Management System, it is important that schools adequately train and support users and implement a plan that insures this occurs.
Considerations when developing your training and support plan:
- Each school should have 2-4 staff members designated to be able to quickly answer questions and provide support to others on their campus. It is recommended that these staff members get additional training in the Echo Admin Tool.
- Each school should have a derivative copies of the Echo 101 and Echo 201 courses for teachers in their Echo domain. This allows schools to implement a self-paced virtual introduction to Echo and have some guided support throughout the first semester.
- The Echo Help Center is available for all staff to search for answers as they explore Echo. It includes step by step documentation. There is also an NTN Echo YouTube playlist that can be subscribed to.
Two Essential Documents
- Habits of Highly Successful Echo Schools: This document will assist you in planning the ongoing training and support for your teachers with Echo.
- "Are You Echo Ready": We recommend that every staff member in your school be giving access to this document. It is a summary of all of the important steps for beginning Echo use.
Echo Administrator Responsibilities
Each New Tech school is required to have a user that is accessible to their staff during normal business hours who is trained in Echo troubleshooting and maintenance. Echo staff provides training for Administrators during the New Tech Annual Conference (NTAC) each year. For new schools, it is imperative that an Echo Administrator be hired and/or identified before this conference and be available to attend the training.
Echo Administrator Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- User account management (Imports/Exports for account creation, inactivation, cleanup, password resets)
- Course Creation and management
- Course Enrollment and management
- Google Apps Administration (Optional)
- Integrations with SIS
- Providing user support for Echo and handling incoming staff, student and parent help requests (This ensures timely responses to your staff to have trained on-site support)
- Generating reports for Echo grade data (when requested by on-site staff)
- Interfacing with Echo support for issues requiring further attention
Echo Administrators are preferred to have prior experience with computer troubleshooting and support. To ensure Echo runs optimally, the Technology support staff (IT) must maintain a commitment to delivering maximum up-time and proper functioning of the school LAN, district/organization WAN, and related technologies. This includes providing responsive desktop support for staff and students and verifying that all segments of the network between the classroom and the Internet connection are performing optimally.
District/Organization Network Requirements
|Service Description||IP Address||Hostname||TCP Port & Protocol|
|Echo||N/A (multiple)||*echo-ntn.org||443 / 80 (TCP)|
|http://s3.amazonaws.com, *.agilixbuzz.com, *.httponly.brainhoney.com, *.brainhoney.com, *.google.com (WRT Google Docs)|
|Echo (ftp)||ftp.agilixbuzz.com||21 (TCP)
|Google Apps||N/A (multiple)||mail.google.com*, google.com/calendar*, docs.google.com*, drive.google.com*, sites.google.com*||80 (TCP) & 443 (TCP)|
|Google Talk||N/A||talk.google.com*||443 (TCP) & 5552 (TCP)|
|Zoom||N/A (multiple)||*.zoom.us, *.cloudfront.net||80, 443|
The table includes configuration information needed to ensure the proper functioning of sites and software typically used by NTN. Please verify that the IP addresses and hostnames listed below are unrestricted by any network security devices on your LAN/WAN. All ports listed are outbound only.
**note - Google Talk, Skype, and Zoom are used by New Tech coaches and Echo support to communicate with school staff and are only necessary for teachers/staff users only (not students).
Site Infrastructure Requirements
- Ensure that you have sufficient bandwidth to support all current applications in addition to the NTN Echo platform. NTN recommends that your bandwidth usage not currently exceed 75% of capacity during peak hours. A general minimum guideline is 3Mbps bandwidth per 100 users.
- Modify any configurations in district networking hardware/software (firewalls, proxies, content filters, etc.) to ensure the services listed in the above table are available for users at your school.
Echo relies on browser compatibility more so than the operating system used. However it is highly recommended that both device and browsers are current to today's manufacture requirements to run any application.
While Echo can be accessed by iPads, tablets, Touchpads, etc. we recommend that students, (especially middle and high schoolers) have access to a keyboard for extended typing. Schools should invest in keyboards.
|Apple iPad Devices (minimum 1024px width using Safari or Chrome)|
|Netbooks and Tablets (minimum 1024px width using Chrome or Edge)|
Browser Requirements and Configurations
Echo supports the following browsers please ensure all browsers are running the most recent updates. For the best Echo experience, keep your browser updated. Although your browser should prompt you to install updates as they arise, you can ensure you're using the most current version by downloading and installing the most recent release.
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Apple Safari
- Microsoft Edge (Internet Explorer 11 is no longer supported)
- Enable Cookies: Echo relies on cookies to store the user's security token
- Enable Popups: Echo makes use of popups to inform users of certain actions.
Echo's Security Model
Echo is constantly being improved based on the feedback from users and we strive to keep our documentation up to date. If this document doesn’t match what you are seeing in Echo, please let us know.