Note: This document references views and actions that are only available to Echo Administrators
Create new course
- Select Courses tool from the main navigation menu.
- Click New from the vertical menu
Choose between three tabs:
- Create a title for the course
- Add the School Year (this is the grading period or term that was created at the domain)
- Choose start and end dates (Note: The start and end dates do not control when students or teachers will have access to the course, their individual enrollments in the course does that. The start and end dates defined in the course do establish "defaults" that will be applied when a user is enrolled in the course. Tip - for courses that you want to be active for a long period of time, enter a far off end date (i.e. 1/1/99).
- If your domain has Grading Periods set up, the Term field is replaced with a School year dropdown. Select the current year to align to your new course with the domain-level Grading Periods.
- Click Create
Copy from your domain
Specify the course you want to copy by title or ID and then choose which type of copy meets your needs
- Updates (Derivative Child Copy): This option will make a linked copy of the course and will receive updates. Use this option when the original course is a master course.
- Updates (Derivative Sibling Copy): This option will make a copy of the course for next semester/term. Use this option to create a copy that is linked to the master of the original course.
- No Updates: (Static Copy): This options makes a copy of the course. Choose this option when you want to create an independent copy of a course. Changes made to the copied course, known as the Master Course, have no impact on a Static Copy after it is made.
- Provide the Title*, School Year (Term if not using grading periods) and External ID if you need to align the course with an external program or application.
- Specify the course's date range: All course activities must be completed by the End Date; students have read-only access for two weeks after that date.
- If you want Continuous enrollments, check the box and specify for how many days you want the course to run. (You will rarely, if ever, choose this option)
- Grading Periods: If your domain has grading periods set up and your copying a course that already has its own grading periods, use this section to map the previous periods with the domain-level grading periods.
- Click Create.
*Be sure to choose a title that accurately describes your copy and differentiates it from the master.