Note: This document references views and actions that are only available to Echo Administrators
You can create a course by copying one that already exists, or you can create a new one from scratch or from a course template.
Create new course
- Open Courses from the Main Menu to manage courses in your domain.
- Click New in the toolbar.
- Select Create New and choose a course Template from the dropdown menu (if enabled) to bring over everything from that template. A template is selected by default, so select (Blank) if you don't want to use one.
- Click Next.
- Provide Title, External ID, and, if you have multiple roles in the domain, the Role you want to have in the course.
6. Indicate whether you want the course dues dates to be organized as:
- Range (by the course author); if you choose this, indicate whether you want Echo to automatically Adjust due, visibility and grade release dates based on course start date by checking the box or leaving it unchecked.
- Continuous (automated for self-paced learning); if you choose this, specify for how many days you want the course to run in the Days field.
7. Provide the desired Term. If your domain has Grading Periods set up, the Term field is replaced with a School year dropdown (as seen in the example). Select the current year to align your new course with the domain-level Grading Periods.
8. Specify the course's date range (Start date and End date).
- All course activities must be completed by the End Date; your students have read only access for two weeks after that date.
- If your domain has Grading Periods set up, these dates are populated for you based on the School year.
9. Click Create.
Course copy limitations
Echo limits the types of copies users can make based on the state of the course they are copying. This table outlines which states allow users to make which types of copies. (To learn more about copy types, review How do base and Derivative Courses work?.)
|Static copies||Sibling copies||Child copies|
|The copied course has a Base and student enrollments
|The copied course has a Base and no student enrollments
|The copied course has no Base and has student enrollments
|The copied course has no Base and no student enrollments
Manage existing courses
From the Courses tool, you can:
- Import courses using tab-delimited or comma-separated files.
- Use Bulk Update to make permanent changes to their:
- Fields, including Term (or School year if your domain has Grading Periods), Type (continuous/range), number of Days running, Start Date, or End Date.
- Template settings, including General Course-Grade View, Grade Scales, Grading Categories, Grading Periods, Options, Enrollment Completion, Formative Assessment, and/or Remediation Assessment.
- Delete a course by checking its box and clicking Delete; check multiple boxes to delete more than one at a time.
- Click Restore to review and restore deleted courses.
- Select a Course ID to make changes to the Title, External ID, Term (or School year if your domain has Grading Periods), Public visibility, and Scheduling settings.
Echo is constantly being improved based on the feedback from users and we strive to keep our documentation up to date. If this document doesn’t match what you are seeing in Echo, please let us know.