Let your students guide their own pace with continuous enrollment courses
When would I use a Continuous Enrollment Course?
When you would like students to master objectives at their own pace.
- Completing a Digital Citizenship course before they can have their school issued laptop
- Prerequisite course before joining the robotics club
- A menu of choices for staff professionals that staff could take based on their need or interest level
Continuous enrollment courses are self-paced courses for which completion is usually indicated by completion of certain activities rather than by the ending of a semester or other timeframe.
When you set up a continuous enrollment course, Echo automatically schedules suggested due dates for all gradable activities to provide students with a guideline. The suggested due dates are based on:
- The sequence of activities in the Course Editor
- The number of non-gradable activities between gradable activities
- The weight of each activity
- Any blackout dates that have been specified
- The number of days and date range assigned to the course.
Select continuous enrollment at course creation
When creating a course, you have the option to make it continuous enrollment. See how to in the following articles:
- With the Admin app: How do I create and manage my domain courses?
- With the Teacher app: How do I create a course in Echo?
Configure continuous enrollment completion criteria
From the homepage click the Editor icon located on the course card.
In the course editor, click on the Tools button (wrench icon) to bring up the dropdown menu. Click on "course settings."
- In the top section, click on the checkbox for This is a continuous course.
- Indicate the number of days the course should last. Echo uses this information to generate a suggested timeline.
To set up completion criteria in a continuous enrollment course:
Scroll down the page in Course Settings and select the desired criterion from the list under Enrollment Completion:
- Manual if you want to assess completion yourself
- Automatic when all items are complete
- Automatic when all gradable items are complete
- Automatic when all items in this category are complete. Selecting this enables the Category dropdown where you choose the category you want completion to be based on. It also enables you to indicate whether you want to require a course passing score in addition to completing the category.
- Save at the top.
- Blackout dates are managed by your local Echo Admin: How do I use the Domain tool?
Echo is constantly being improved based on the feedback from users and we strive to keep our documentation up to date. If this document doesn’t match what you are seeing in Echo, please let us know.
Please sign in to leave a comment.