Add a rubric
To add a rubric to a Peer Assessment activity, click on the Edit button (pencil icon) on the course from the homepage.
In the course editor, click the "+Add to..." link to create a peer assessment activity, or click the Edit button next to a current peer assessment activity to edit.
When creating a peer assessment, click the popup menu to choose the type of activity.
When adding a peer assessment, provide a title and choose the options available in the checkboxes and radio buttons.
Click the "Add Rubric" button. If rubrics already exist in your domain, you can choose one from the Select a rubric template dropdown to work with it; if you want to create a new rubric, select <empty>.
Create a rubric
To build rubrics, you create:
Levels, which define the columns of the rubric table and represent possible levels of performance. You can:
- Add levels by clicking the + plus sign that appears to the right of the levels fields.
- Remove levels by clicking the x that appears above each level field.
- Provide level titles by clicking the level's field and entering text. If you don't provide titles, level headers display Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, etc. By default, the levels build left to right, from lowest scores to highest. Define the point range for each level.
Criteria, which define the rows of the rubric and represent the behaviors that are being assessed. You can:
- Name each criteria by describing the desired behavior in the title fields above each. If you don't provide titles, the criteria headers display Criteria 1, Criteria 2, Criteria 3, etc.
- Provide the maximum criteria score in the "Max" field. This value is automatically distributed evenly between the existing levels in the criteria and populates the "Points" fields and level headers within the criteria. You can edit the Points fields if you don't want the value distributed evenly, but you must do so after entering the Max value.
- Describe what a student needs to accomplish to earn each level's score within each behavior (criteria). Select the field and enter text.
- Remove criteria by clicking the x that appears to the right of each criteria.
- Add criteria by clicking the plus sign that appears at the bottom left corner of the last criteria.
- Click Save when complete.
Edit a rubric
To edit a rubric, choose one from the Select a rubric template dropdown to work with it.
When a rubric is selected, you will be automatically taken to the Edit Rubric page. Either scroll down and click Save if you would like to use the rubric as is, or make adjustments as needed. Reference the Level and Criteria settings in the "Create a rubric" section above.
Echo is constantly being improved based on the feedback from users and we strive to keep our documentation up to date. If this document doesn’t match what you are seeing in Echo, please let us know.