When there is a large number of users that need to be created, using the bulk import process will expedite creating users. In addition, the file that you create will be a record of user information.
Note: This document references views and actions that are only available to Echo Administrators
If possible, export the following data from your Student Information System:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Student or Staff ID
- Email address
Create your File
Open the attached file: UserCreation2017.csv
Complete the following fields:
- Action - (Mandatory) Use ADD when adding new users
- Username - (Mandatory) This will be the login name and it must be unique. DO NOT use an email address. However, we recommend that you use the prefix part of the email address (The part before the @) to ensure uniqueness.
- External ID - (Optional) Enter the student or Staff ID from your student information system. We highly recommended that you import this information to use when exporting grades
- Last Name - (Mandatory)
- First Name - (Mandatory)
- Email - (Optional) - Enter the email address for your users. This email address will be used for notifications and communication through Echo
- Password - (Mandatory) By default, the password does not have a password policy. However you can set policies in your Domain Settings
- Userspace - (Optional) Only required if adding accounts across multiple domains
- Role - (Mandatory) Enter "Staff" for Staff accounts only; Leave blank for Student and Parents
- Echo User Type - (Mandatory) Identifies the user type and stores these options. Choose “Staff”, “Student”, "Parent”, “TestAccount”
- Echo Grad Year - (Mandatory for Students) Identifies the user's graduation year. Stores a four-digit number (ie, 2017)
- Echo IEP - (Optional) Identifies if the user has an IEP on file (if applicable). Options are “Yes” and “No”.
SAVE as a .csv file
BEST PRACTICE: When importing student users, we recommend that you import them using a separate file for each grade level. This file can then be altered to update students when they move to another school or when they graduate.
Log into the Admin App for Echo
- Select the User Tool
- Click on Import
Browse to your import file
Review the information to be imported.
Click on Import.
Once the file is imported, you will see a page that reports the number of rows imported and any errors. In this case, there were 5 users in the import file that have successfully been imported.
The Restart button is used if you have another file to import.
If you are done, click on Close at the bottom right of the page.
Echo is constantly being improved based on the feedback from users and we strive to keep our documentation up to date. If this document doesn’t match what you are seeing in Echo, please let us know.