Using groups for differenation allows for
- Createing special assignments for Honors or AP students in a heterogeneous classroom that other student don't see
- Createing unique tasks for different reading levels
- Createing three projects that cover the same content standards and allow students to pick the project that interests them the most
- Assigning a delayed due date to students with an IEP
- Allowing ELL students to access a modified entry document with extra support to scaffold their understanding
From the home page click on the "Editor" icon located on the course where differentiated groups need to be added.
Click the "GROUP SETTINGS" tab.
Click on the "Tools" located in the top toolbar.
Click "Manage groups".
Click the "New group set" icon.
In the pop up window enter the following information:
1. Group Prefix: Name of the groups to be created. Ex: reading, math, AP
2. Group creation method: Choose "Fixed number of groups". This allows for the teacher to decide how many students will be in each group as well as move students from group to group.
3. Number of groups: Enter the number of groups wanted.
4. Group assignment: Select "None". Because these are differentiated groups, students will be added to the groups manually to assure each student is in the correct group.
5. Select "Generate".
The "Edit Group Set" screen will show the name of the group set as well as the number of groups selected.
Change the names of the groups by clicking the editor icon next to each group. Delete the existing text and replace it with the new group name.
Select the check mark next to each group name when finished.
Add each student enrolled in the course to a group by clicking under the group name.
A student can be moved from one group to another simply by clicking.
Click "SAVE" in the upper right hand corner.
Echo is constantly being improved based on the feedback from users and we strive to keep our documentation up to date. If this document doesn’t match what you are seeing in Echo, please let us know.
|Documentation for Prior Interface|
Echo allows you to customize the activities in your course/syllabus based on groups you have created
Would you rather learn via video? Here you go!
Why might you want to differentiate the work for your groups? Here are a few reasons, we're sure you can think of more!
- Create special assignments for Honors or AP students in a heterogeneous classroom that other student don't see.
- Create unique tasks for different reading levels.
- Create three projects that cover the same content standards and allow students to pick the project that interests them the most
- Assign a delayed due date to students with an IEP
- Allow ELL students to access a modified entry document with extra support to scaffold their understanding
To differentiate an item for a particular group:
- Create a group set and group that identifies your target student population. In the example below, we've created a group set for "AP / Honors" with two groups, "AP Students" and "Non AP Students"
- In the item editor, used the "Group" drop down menu in the lower left of the window to pick a group. Normally this field is set to "All Groups" which means that all students see the same thing. If you select a group from the drop down menu, you can customize the assignment for that group.
In our example, we have set this assignment to be visible to the "AP Students" group and invisible to the "Non AP Students" group. For only those students in the "AP Students" group, the item will be visible in the syllabus, will appear on their to-do list, and will be included in the students grade. You can do this kind of customization with the other settings in the item editor including when the assignment is due, how many points it's worth, or whether it is a gatekeeper task.