A group task is an activity assigned to a group of students. When the group completes the assignment, one student turns it in for the entire group.
Once one student submits the work, the rest of the students see that item as "complete" in their gradebook.
All students within a group receive the same score on the assignment when graded by the course teacher. If you need to customize a grade for an individual group member, see this section.
Before you can grade group tasks, you must first create group sets, and create a task that is assigned to a group.
Grading a group task
Once you have a task that is assigned to groups and students have completed their work, it's time to grade. The easiest way to grade group tasks is to use the activities tab in the Gradebook.
Enter a course through the gradebook.
Click the activities tab.
Click on the group task.
Select the first group to grade.
- When entering a score, there's a message that says your edits here apply to all members of this group.
- You can see which group members are assigned in the lefthand section.
- Click submission/activity history to see date/time the assignment was submitted and who it was submitted by.
- Assign this group points for the associated outcomes.
- When finished click submit score.
Once you have submitted a grade for the group, all students in that group receive the same score.
Customizing a grade for an individual student in a group task
Once a grade is saved for a group, all students receive the same score. To customize an individual student's score in a group task, navigate back to the gradebook.
Click the students tab.
Click on a student's name to be taken to their individual grades page.
Click on the name of the assignment to bring up the grade editor.
From here, the student's individual grade can be modified. This does not affect the score of other students in the same group set.
NOTE: If edits are made to the overall group's score through the Activities tab in the gradebook, this will override any individual customizations that were previously made.
- How do I create a group task?
- How do I create groups?
- How do I use the activity grader?
- How do I use the student grader?
- How do I use groups for differentiation?
Echo is constantly being improved based on the feedback from users and we strive to keep our documentation up to date. If this document doesn’t match what you are seeing in Echo, please let us know.