For the past two years, New Tech Network has been piloting the use of Clever to better understand the role it can play in syncing data between Echo and various student information systems. During the pilot, we learned that Clever did not meet the needs of a majority of our schools. In fact, only about 6% of our schools chose to use the Clever sync. More importantly, many of the schools who did chose to use Clever were less than happy with the experience. Because of these challenges and the additional cost, it has been decided that the contract with Clever would not be continued and will sunset on June 30th, 2019.
Recently, the Echo team shared some information about BrightBytes, a bi-directional sync option that can now sync course grades to your student information system. BrightBytes does come at a cost, $0.80 per user (staff and students). The schools who have used BrightBytes are giving us much more positive feedback and we now feel confident that it is a better solution. Advantages of BrightBytes include:
- When allowed by the SIS, grades are sent from Echo to the SIS
- In addition to staff and students accounts, parent accounts are created and associated with the student automatically
- External IDs fields are now populated with the SIS’s identification numbers rather than randomly generated GUID numbers. This allows for easier exporting of student and grade data.
- Smarter integration algorithms avoid some of the problems that the Clever sync created
- Very responsive support team makes sure the sync is working properly.
If this is an option you’d like to explore or take advantage of, we encourage you to start the conversation early so that we have a smooth transition. Please open an Echo Support ticket with us and we’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding this change. For more information regarding integrations with your SIS, please see this article.
Echo Support Team