The clipboard is a personalization and a differentiation tool.
This tool allows a course teacher to quickly provide personalized attention to students. Access the clipboard from the top toolbar to:
- Create and save quick lists of students to easily engage with those groups later
- Create personalized activities for individual students or a group of students
- Assign a badge to an individual student or a group of students
- Create simple, personalized tasks for individual students or a group of students
- Quickly send messages to individual students or a group of students
Clipboard assignments only show in the gradebook for students they were assigned to. Access clipboard tasks or activities that need graded or reviewed under the for me tab in the gradebook.
To edit and/or delete clipboard items for individual students, navigate to the for me tab in the gradebook and click on a student's name.
Click any link above to be redirected to the part of this article that covers that specific aspect of using the clipboard tool.
Using the clipboard, you can easily build a quick list of students from any of your courses. Once created and saved, you can use the clipboard to assign tasks, activities, or to send messages to members of the quick list.
To create a quick list, open the clipboard tool from the top tool bar or from the main menu.
- Choose a course to make a quick list for.
- Click in the add a student field.
- From the drop down, select the students to add to the quick list.
- When finished click save.
- In the pop up give the quick list a name.
- Click OK.
Your quick list now shows in the quick lists menu.
You can also see that these students have been added to the clipboard.
Create Personalized Activities
To assign an activity to students on your clipboard, start on the activities tab.
First, choose the activity type you would like to assign to these students. You can choose to:
- Upload a file
- Add a youtube video
- Add a document from your Google Drive
- Add a website link
- Create a rich text activity
- Search Library (this allows you to assign activities that already exist from your courses or other courses in your domain).
Once the activity is created, or added, decide if you would like it to be gradeable.
NOTE: Remember, if you choose to make this activity gradeable, it will only show in the gradebook for the selected students.
Choose destination and due date
1. Choose which grading period for this activity to belong in.
2. Choose a course for it to live in.
3. Choose to set a due date if you wish.
4. Click next.
Edit gradebook settings for activity
If you chose for this activity to be gradeable:
- Choose how you would like students to submit their work (if they need to submit something).
- Assign points for associated learning outcomes.
- Adjust other gradebook settings if needed.
- Click next.
Now it is time to assign this activity to students on the clipboard.
Below is how this assignment appears for a student it is assigned to.
This activity will show in the student's activities tab, and their to-do list.
It will also appear in their gradebook under the grades tab and under the for me tab.
Assign a Course Badge
Manually award badges to your students using the clipboard.
Click here to learn more about badges are, and how to create them.
To assign a badge to students on your clipboard, start on the badges tab.
- Select the badge you want to award.
- Badge description and requirements fields will be automatically filled in with information. This was added when the badge was created.
- If you'd like to personalize these fileds for this student or group of students, now is your chance.
- To add evidence that the student has completed the requirements to earn this badge click choose file.
- If there is no evidence or evidence is not needed, you can skip this step.
- When finished, click award.
Below is how this badge appears for a student it was awarded to.
- When a student logs into Echo, a notification will appear at the bottom of their screen.
- The badge will appear in their activity stream. If they click on the link within the activity stream, they will be taken to a page with badge details.
- They can see any badges awarded to them in the course gradebook under the badges tab.
Create Personalized Tasks
Tasks are personalized, non-graded activities that you can quickly assign using the clipboard. Tasks are more than suggestions, but less than assignments. They are similar to in-class exercises, where students may or may not report on their experience afterward, but the real value is in doing the task. The task feature takes those experiences further by allowing you to easily personalize them for individuals or groups and follow up on them later.
To assign a task to students on your clipboard, start on the tasks tab.
- Give the task a title.
- Provide instructions, or anything students might need to complete this taks within the rich text editor. If you want students to access a course activity or resource, click the link icon, then select either the link to course activity or link to course resource icon.
- Decide how you want the activity to be completed and select a due date.
- Click assign.
Below is how this task appears for a student it was assigned to.
This task will show in the student's to-do list.
It will also appear in their gradebook under the for me tab.
Create and Send Messages
To email students using the clipboard, start on the messages tab.
- Students added to the clipboard will appear in the to field.
- Click the dropdown below the to field to choose to:
- Send to recipients
- Send to recipients and observers
- Send to observers only, which will send the email to only the observers (parents or other teachers) of the chosen students
- Indicate whether you want a copy sent to yourself.
- Give the message a subject.
- Compose the message.
- Select send.
Below is how this message appears for a student it was sent to.
- This message will be sent to the student's email. They must have an active email address associated with their Echo account.
- They will see a notification of this message in Echo under their activity stream.
Grade or Review Clipboard Tasks/Activities
To review or grade clipboard tasks or activities, enter a course through the gradebook tool.
Select the for me tab.
On this page you can:
- Search for a student
- See how many personalized tasks/activities have been assigned to students in this course by previous months, current month, or year.
- Click on a student to see their personalized tasks/activities.
A task is one that has no learning outcomes associated (dots underneath the learning outcome indicate there are no points associated).
A task is simply something that needs to be done by the student for either extra support or practice. You can tell the task has been completed when there is a checkmark in the status column.
How the task is determined complete, is set up when creating the task in the clipboard tool.
A gradable activity will have learning outcomes associated with it (no dots underneath the learning outcome indicate there are points associated).
- To see the activity, click on the activity name.
- Go grade the activity click on the blank space under the learning outcome.
Score the activity as you normally would, and submit score.
Scores for this activity will only show in the gradebook of the student it was assigned to.
Below is how this activity appears in the gradebook for a student it was assigned to.
When a personalized activity is graded:
- It shows in the student's activity stream.
- It shows on their grades page within their course gradebook.
- It shows on their for me tab in their course gradebook.
Edit or Delete a Clipboard Item
Once a clipboard task or activity is created, you can only edit the gradebook settings, or delete the item for each student individually.
NOTE: Deleting or editing a clipboard item for one student does not delete or make the same changes for each student it was assigned to. You have to make the delete or make changes to the assignment for each student.
To edit or delete a clipboard task or activity click the for me tab in the gradebook.
Select a student for which to edit or delete a clipboard item.
To delete an item, click the trashcan.
To edit an item click the pencil icon to adjust gradebook and submission details, due date and/or advanced gradebook options.
Echo is constantly being improved based on the feedback from users and we strive to keep our documentation up to date. If this document doesn’t match what you are seeing in Echo, please let us know.