Echo supports the rostering of users, courses, enrollments, and observers(parents) through the IMS OneRoster specification. The sync makes rostering easy, automated, and secure.
OneRoster is an IMS Global Learning Consortium specification for exchanging data between systems. Commonly, this exchange will happen between the student information system (SIS) and the learning management system (LMS). Echo supports OneRoster 1.1.
- Review the OneRoster Sync FAQ document before initiating a OneRoster sync
- When first enabled, the OneRoster sync will created ALL NEW user accounts, courses, and enrollments. If you have an existing domain(s), users, or other data in Echo that you would like linked to your SIS data, see "How do I prepare my Echo domain for the OneRoster SIS Sync when I have existing data?"
- Only Echo users with the Administrator role in the domain can set up and review SIS sync information. If you need an account upgraded to full administrator permissions, let the Echo team know by submitting a support request.
Steps for Initiating a OneRoster SIS Sync
- Confirm that your SIS is capable of generating OneRoster 1.1 compatible .csv files.
- Update your domain's External Id field
- Configure your OneRoster Sync Setting in Echo
- Configure your SIS to share the data for the desired schools
- Uploading your sync .zip file (manually or automatically via FTP)
- Review imported users, courses, and enrollments to confirm data is correct
Set up your SIS sync settings
Echo allows you to customize the OneRoster SIS Sync so that users, courses and enrollments are created and managed correctly for your school. If there multiple schools in your district that use Echo, these settings should be configured in the district domain.
To configure your OneRoster SIS Sync, open the More menu on the Admin > Domain screen, and select SIS sync.
If you have not specified sync settings in your domain or want to change them, click Edit settings.
On the General settings card:
- Choose your Time zone for courses and enrollment dates.
- Provide the Email addresses to which you want sync notifications sent. Notifications are sent after each sync and outline successes and any failures.
On the Course settings card:
- Check the boxes to automatically:
- Create a base course for each domain in the uploaded file. This will create an uber-Base course for each subject(secondary) or grade level (elementary) that can be used for collaboration or distributing managed curriculum. Content created in these courses will flow into the teacher Base course.
- Create a base course for each teacher in the uploaded file. Each teacher should have their own base (Base) course so that their edits do not affect other teacher's courses. In most cases, you will want this option selected.
Create a teacher base course for each SIS term in the uploaded file. This will create a unique Base course for each term. If selected, section/class derivatives will be created under the term base course. If not selected, the teacher base course will be reused each term.
- Use the dropdown to indicate whether you want to Delete or Do nothing with Un-shared courses (Un-shared courses are courses that exist in Echo but not in your SIS). Selecting Do Nothing allows you to manually create and use courses for unique purposes (i.e. student clubs, internal staff development). Selecting Delete would remove any course not defined by your SIS.
On the Enrollment settings card:
- Choose which role in Echo you want teachers to be given when a course is added.
- Teacher can author content and grade student work, but can not manage student enrollments or delete a course. This role is typically used when an SIS sync is used.
- Owner has all the permissions of a teacher, but can delete courses and edit student enrollments. These actions may interfere with the SIS sync operations.
- Teacher-Owner allows teachers to manage enrollments but not delete courses (prevents accidental deletion). Manually adjusting enrollments my interfere with the SIS sync operations but gives teachers drop students if "Do Nothing" is selected below.
- Choose which role in Echo you want students to be given on upload. Typically Student is used.
- Use the dropdown to indicate which of the following you want to do with Un-shared enrollments on upload (Un-shared enrollments are enrollments that exist in Echo but not in your SIS):
- Do nothing - best if you want some flexibility in enrolling team teachers, teaching assistants, or other atypical enrollments, but students may need to be manually dropped from courses. Teachers may need to be granted Teacher-Owner permissions to manage enrollments.
- Mark as inactive - teachers can still access grades of inactive students if needed
- Mark as withdrawn - teachers can still access grades of withdrawn students if needed
- Delete - All data associated with the enrollment will be removed and can only be recovered by a system administrator.
- Check the box if you want to Ignore start and end dates from the SIS and use them from Echo. This option keeps enrollments in courses tied to the course start and end dates rather than what is defined by the SIS.
On the User settings card, use the dropdown to indicate which of the following you want to do with Un-shared users on upload (Un-shared users are users that exist in Echo but not in your SIS):
- Do nothing - a system administrator will need to deactivate these users manually
- Mark as inactive - keeps the user and their data in the system for reference, but inactive users won't count against your license agreement (recommended)
- Delete - removes all data associated with account
Upload your sync .zip file
Once your settings are configured, you can start your sync by uploading your OneRoster .zip file.
Your .zip file must contain the following CSV files for OneRoster integration:
When your .zip file is prepared you can upload it in Echo or use FTP.
To do it in Echo:
- Click Choose file.
- Find and select the .zip file for upload.
- Click Start sync. Your first sync should begin shortly after upload.
- Click the Status screen to check sync successes/failures and review sync history. You can sync anytime you need, but we recommend syncing no more frequently than every 12 hours.
Upload using FTP
To use FTP to upload the file or upload directly in Echo, use the following:
- Your username is your userspace/username.
- Your password is your Echo password
- The FTP location/URL is found in the Data Files screen for your domain.
Echo is constantly being improved based on the feedback from users and we strive to keep our documentation up to date. If this document doesn’t match what you are seeing in Echo, please let us know.