Bitmojis are a fun way to liven up your course home page and add some practical links to websites or resources that student might need to frequently access.
A bitmoji is a cartoon version of yourself. A bitmoji classroom is a cartoon version of your classroom. Check out this We Are Teachers article for more information about how bitmoji classrooms are being used to liven up virtual learning.
To use your bitmoji in your Echo course, you can embed it into your course's landing page content field. This example was shared to the NTN Slack Community by Kimberly Poorman at Comal ISD.
Bitmoji classrooms are typically created as a Google Slide. There are many tutorials available online. Once you have created your bitmoji classroom, you can embed it into an Echo course's landing page, course agenda, or assignment using Echo's rich text editor.
There are two suggested ways to embed your bitmoji classroom:
(1) Embedding the Google Slide directly
(2) Embedding a .pdf of your bitmoji classroom.
Embedding Google Slide Method
Embedding the Google Slide directly into the rich text editor allows you to make changes in the slide that will appear instantly in Echo. It also allows you to use multiple slides (i.e. reading room, math room, science room, etc.). The down side is that student will see Google's slide deck navigation bar at the bottom of your bitmoji.
To embed a Google Slide into Echo's rich text Editor
- With the slide deck open, click Google's File menu and select Publish to the web.
- In the Publish to the web settings, switch to the Embed tab.
- Configure the settings by selecting the size, autostart option, auto advance, and restart options as desired.
- When ready, copy the embed code from the window provided. The configuration settings you selected are incorporated in the embed code.
- To add your bitmoji classroom to the Landing-Page Content field in your course, open the Activity Player (student view) and click the Add Landing-Page Content link to real the rich text editor. If you already have content there, click the Edit icon (pencil). Note: This can also be done in the Course Agenda or in an assignment's rich text field.
- With the rich text editor open, click the Embed icon in the menu bar.
- In the resulting window, select Code
- Paste the embed code you copied from the Google slide deck into the embed code field.
- To avoid your bitmoji classroom from being cut off, specify the embedded object's Height properties to be a bit larger than what is specified in your embed code (+20).
Pro Tip: At this stage is it easy to adjust the size of your imbedded bitmoji classroom. Google only provides a few size setting options, but you can customize the height and width in the embed code to get the fit you want. For landing-page content, upscaling Google's small size setting by 1.5 worked well (width="720" height="448"). Remember to match the height in the properties field as well.
- When ready, click Embed.
- You can preview your Landing-Page Content and click Save to add the content to your course homepage.
Embedding .pdf method
Embedding a .pdf copy of your bitmoji classroom gives a slightly cleaner look than embedding the slide by removing Google's slide controls, but you lose the ability to quickly update your bitmoji on the fly. This method is best suited if you don't plan to change your bitmoji classroom frequently.
To embed a .pdf copy of your bitmoji classroom:
- From your Google slide deck, export a .pdf version of your desired bitmoji classroom slide.
- Upload the newly created .pdf file into your Google drive.
- Open the .pdf file from your Google drive.
- Use the steps described above to create the embed code and add it to your Echo course's Landing-Page Content or other rich text editor.
Echo is constantly being improved based on the feedback from users and we strive to keep our documentation up to date. If this document doesn’t match what you are seeing in Echo, please let us know.
Please sign in to leave a comment.