This document outlines the steps for assisting existing school with production data to use the OneRoster sync.
To avoid duplicating domains, users, and courses when OneRoster sync is turned on, the first part of the work happens in a sandbox domain. Once everything looks good, we can point the sync to the production domain.
Create Sandbox Domain
- Create a sandbox domain for the school
- Create a new account in sandbox domain and grant full Administrator permission
- Provide the following information to the school
- URL for sandbox domain
- Link to instructions
Run and Verify The Sync in Sandbox
The school must generate the .zip file and initiate the sync. It is recommended that the .zip file be manually uploaded through the UI first, and set up the ftp after the file is confirmed to work.
The sync will treat the sandbox domain as a master. It will create subdomains for each school, accounts for each user, base/derivative courses, and enrollments. Here is what should be verified:
- Subdomains were created for each school with a product Echo domain (no extra schools being synced).
- User accounts are created in the correct domain(s).
- Users are granted appropriate permissions.
- If courses are synced, courses are created in the correct domains with correct start and end dates
- If enrollments are synced, the correct students are enrolled in each course with correct start and end dates.
School Updates Existing Production Data
Once the data in the sandbox environment properly reflects the SIS data, the existing data in the production environment must be updated to prevent duplicating users, courses, and enrollments when the sync runs. To update existing production data, schools should:
- Update the External ID for the district and schools to match what was imported into the sandbox. Note: School's Echo Admin may not have rights for this, so Echo Team may need to do it.
- Update the External ID for all users to match what was imported into the sandbox.
- If syncing courses, update the external ID for all courses to match what was important into the sandbox environment.
- If syncing enrollments, update the external ID for all enrollment records to match what was important into the sandbox environment. NOTE: This is a lot of work and we don't recommend it. Better to wait until the new term before syncing enrollments.
Echo Team reviews data to confirm fields have been updated properly and that the sync is ready to run against production.
Redirecting Sync to Production Domains
When existing data has been updated and verified by NTN to match imported data ...
- Create a new OneRoster sync account in the district domain and grant it full Administrator permissions. This is important in case the EA leaves the school and their account is deleted.
- Inform the school of the new credentials. And remind them
(a) They should log into the district domain
(b) They need to use "userspace/username" format for FTP authentication
- Metadata fields (UserType and GradYear) will not be updated by the sync. This must be done manually in the UI or using an import file.
Echo is constantly being improved based on the feedback from users and we strive to keep our documentation up to date. If this document doesn’t match what you are seeing in Echo, please let us know.