This articles describes the various configuration options when using the OneRoster SIS Sync. Before enabeling Echo's OneRoster SIS sync feature, see:
Important Note: Enabling and configuring an SIS Sync requires special domain permissions. The option to open the SIS Sync tool will not be be visible to most Echo Administrators. Please reach out to the Echo Help Desk team if you are interested in using a SIS Sync.
Echo's OneRoster SIS Sync tool allows schools to enabled and manage how the SIS Sync data is imported into your domain. It has several configuration options so that users, courses and enrollments are created and managed correctly for your school.
If there multiple schools in your district that use Echo, these settings are typically configured in the district domain and are applied to all school subdomains. You can set up a SIS Sync for each school if custom configurations are needed.
To configure your OneRoster SIS Sync settings, log into your sandbox testing domain and open the More menu on the Admin > Domain screen, and select SIS sync.
If you have not specified sync settings in your domain or want to change them, click Edit settings.
On the General settings card:
- Choose your Time zone for courses and enrollment dates.
- Provide the Email addresses to which you want sync notifications sent. Notifications are sent after each sync and outline successes and any failures.
On the Course settings card:
- Check the boxes to automatically:
- Create a base course for each domain in the uploaded file. This will create an uber-Base course for each subject(secondary) or grade level (elementary) that can be used for collaboration or distributing managed curriculum. Content created in these courses will flow into the teacher Base course and then to the derivative classes/sections. (Optional)
- Create a base course for each teacher in the uploaded file. Each teacher should have their own base course so that their edits do not affect other teacher's courses. In most cases, you will want this option selected. (Recommended for Secondary, optional for elementary)
- Create a teacher base course for each SIS term in the uploaded file. If selected, a new blank teacher base course will be created for each term. If desired, teachers can easily import their content from the prior term's course. If left unselected, the teacher base course will be reused each term.
- Un-shared courses are courses that were once included in the courses.csv or classes.csv that are no longer included (likely because they were removed in the SIS). Use the dropdown to indicate whether you want to Delete or Do nothing with unshared courses. Selecting Do Nothing means the courses would stay in Echo. Selecting Delete would remove any course that stopped appearing in the upload files.
On the Enrollment settings card:
- Choose which role in Echo you want teachers to be given when a course is added.
- Teacher can author content and grade student work, but can not manage student enrollments or delete a course. This role is typically used when an SIS sync is used. (Recommended)
- Owner has all the permissions of a teacher, but can delete courses and edit student enrollments. These actions may interfere with the SIS sync operations.
- Teacher-Owner allows teachers to manage enrollments but not delete courses (prevents accidental deletion). Manually adjusting enrollments my interfere with the SIS sync operations.
- Choose which role in Echo you want students to be given. Typically Student is used.
- Unshared enrollments are enrollments that were once included in the enrollments.csv file, but are missing in the latest upload. Use the dropdown to indicate which of the following you want to do with Un-shared enrollments on upload:
- Do nothing - Enrollments deleted in the SIS will remain in Echo until manually deleted.
- Mark as inactive - Marks the student "inactive" but retains their enrollment in the course. This removes the student from most views within the course, but preserves grade information. Teachers and Echo Administrator can still access the students grades of inactive students if needed.
- Mark as withdrawn - Marks the student "withdrawn" but retains their enrollment in the course. This removes the student from most views within the course, but preserves grade information. Teachers and Echo Administrator can still access the students grades of inactive students if needed.
- Delete - All data associated with the enrollment include grades will be removed and can only be recovered by a system administrator.
- Check the box if you want to Ignore start and end dates from the SIS. This option keeps enrollments in courses tied to the course start and end dates rather than what is defined by the SIS. Typically, this option is left unselected.
Un-shared users are users that were once included on the users.csv upload file, but are not included in the latest upload (likely because they were removed from the SIS). On the User settings card, use the dropdown to indicate which of the following you want to do with Un-shared users on upload:
- Do nothing - The user's account will remain in Echo. If desired, an Echo system administrator will need to deactivate these users manually.
- Mark as inactive - Keeps the user and their data in the system for reference, but inactive users won't be able to log in and won't count against your license agreement. (Recommended)
- Delete - Removes all data associated with account including enrollments and grades.
When done, click Save.
Echo is constantly being improved based on the feedback from users and we strive to keep our documentation up to date. If this document doesn’t match what you are seeing in Echo, please let us know.
Please sign in to leave a comment.