File upload questions ask students to answer a question by uploading one or more files from their computer.
Note: Students must upload files from their computer; they may not attach links to cloud-hosted files like Google Docs or Google Sheets. Echo enforces a filesize upload limit of 100MB.
After students upload a file, they can remove it or download it by clicking the buttons on the attached-file card.
Creating an file upload question
To add an file upload question, first enter an Assessment through the Editor tool.
1. Navigate to the Questions tab.
2. Click the + create new question.
From the drop down menu, select File Upload.
- Specify how many Points the question is worth.
- Enter the question as you want it displayed to students.
- This section pictures and explains the default visual editor; select the Text editor to create and edit questions with the advanced text editor.
1. Click Add feedback to create various types of feedback.
2. Choose the feedback type from the dropdown and enter the desired content in the field below. You can choose:
- Feedback for When answer is correct (irrelevant for this question type).
- Feedback for When answer is incorrect (irrelevant for this question type).
- Feedback that is Always delivered.
- Custom feedback for questions from specific Groups and/or when a specific Condition is met. This option allows you to set up conditions.
3. Click and begin typing your feedback.
4. Add more feedback if you'd like.
To manage the question's Interaction:
- You can specify the Maximum allowed files the student can upload. You can allow up to5files per question. The default is1.
- You can specify the Allowed file extensions ou allow the student to upload. Separate file types with a space and don't include the dot (e.g., pdf xls doc)..
- Provide a Custom question definition.
Note: Echo enforces a filesize upload limit of 100MB.
Add the question to an existing Group with the associated ID, or create a new one. Groups allow you to vary settings for different questions.
Learn more: What is a Question Pool and how do I Create One?
Click Choose objective in the Objective mastery card to review and align the question with objective(s). Once you've clicked it, you can:
Use the Score card to:
- Indicate if you want the question to count as Extra credit.
- Provide a Rubric to use for grading the question.
With the variables section you can create a range or list of variables for use in the question.
Check the appropriate box(es) to provide students with one or more of the following calculators to use with this question (Basic, Standard, and/or Scientific).
Click Add material in Companion Material to attach any supplemental documents students need to complete this question. You can do this by pointing to existing resources in the course or uploading new files (PDFs only).
Echo is constantly being improved based on the feedback from users and we strive to keep our documentation up to date. If this document doesnt match what you are seeing in Echo, please let us know.